|Revoking:||Executive Order 26|
|Amended by:||Modified by Executive Order 37|
Table of Contents
WHEREAS, changes in strategic concepts and administrative requirements of the Civil Defense program make it desirable and appropriate to make various alterations in certain of the Civil Defense Areas and Sectors established by Executive Order No. 26, issued January 7, 1955:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Foster Furcolo, Governor of the Commonwealth, acting under the provisions of Acts of 1950, Chapter 639, as amended, and in particular Sections, 4, 5, 7, 8, 16 and 20 thereof, and all other enabling authority, do hereby issue this order as a necessary preparatory step in advance of actual disaster and as part of the comprehensive plan and program for the Civil Defense of the Commonwealth.
1. For purposes of Civil Defense there shall be established the following Areas and Sectors:
A. Area 1, consisting of the following Sectors:
Sector 1A. The City of Boston
Sector 1B. Ashland, Brookline, Dover, Framingham, Natick, Needham, Newton, Sherborn, Sudbury, Watertown, Waltham, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston.
Sector 1C. Acton, Arlington, Ayer, Bedford, Belmont, Cambridge, Carlisle, Concord, Dunstable, Groton, Lexington, Lincoln, Littleton, Pepperell, Tyngsboro, Westford.
Sector 1D. Billerica, Burlington, Chelmsford, Dracut, Everett, Lowell, Lynnfield, Malden, Medford, Melrose, North Reading, Reading, Somerville, Stoneham, Tewksbury, Wakefield, Wilmington, Winchester, Woburn.
Sector 1E. Amesbury, Andover, Boxford, Georgetown, Groveland, Haverhill, Ipswich, Lawrence, Merrimac, Methuen, Newbury, Newburyport, North Andover, Rowley, Salisbury, Topsfield, West Newbury.
Sector 1F. Beverly, Chelsea, Danvers, Essex, Gloucester, Hamilton, Lynn, Manchester, Marblehead, Middleton, Nahant, Peabody, Revere, Rockport, Salem, Saugus, Swampscott, Wenham, Winthrop.
B. Area 2, consisting of the following Sectors:
Sector 2A. Acushnet, Attleboro, Berkley, Dartmouth, Dighton, Fairhaven, Fall River, Freetown, Marion, Mansfield, Mattapoisett, New Bedford, North Attleboro, Norton, Plainville, Raynham, Rehoboth, Rochester, Seekonk, Somerset, Swansea, Taunton, Wareham, Westport.
Sector 2B. Abington, Bridgewater, Brockton, Carver, Duxbury, East Bridgewater, Easton, Halifax, Hanover, Hanson, Kingston, Lakeville, Marshfield, Middleboro, Norwell, Pembroke, Plymouth, Plympton, Rockland, Scituate, West Bridgewater, Whitman.
Sector 2C. Barnstable, Bourne, Brewster, Chatham, Chilmark, Dennis, Eastham, Edgartown, Falmouth, Gay Head, Gosnold, Harwich, Mashpee, Nantucket, Oak Bluffs, Orleans, Provincetown, Sandwich, Tisbury, Truro, Wellfleet, West Tisbury, Yarmouth.
Sector 2D. Avon, Braintree, Canton, Cohasset, Dedham, Foxborough, Hingham, Holbrook, Hull, Medfield, Millis, Milton, Norfolk, Norwood, Quincy, Randolph, Sharon, Stoughton, Walpole, Westwood, Weymouth.
C. Area 3, consisting of the following Sectors:
Sector 3A. The City of Worcester.
Sector 3B. Bellingham, Blackstone, Douglas, Franklin, Grafton, Holliston, Hopedale, Hopkinton, Medway, Mendon, Milford, Millbury, Millville, Northborough, Northbridge, Shrewsbury, Southborough, Sutton, Upton, Uxbridge, Westborough, Wrentham.
Sector 3C. Auburn, Brookfield, Charlton, Dudley, East Brookfield, Leicester, North Brookfield, Oxford, Southbridge, Spencer, Sturbridge, West Brookfield, Warren, Webster.
Sector 3D. Barre, Berlin, Bolton, Boylston, Clinton, Hardwick, Holden, Hudson, Lancaster, Marlborough, Maynard, New Braintree, Oakham, Paxton, Princeton, Rutland, Sterling, Stow, West Boylston.
Sector 3E. Ashburnham, Ashby, Athol, Boxborough, Fitchburg, Gardner, Harvard, Hubbardston, Leominster, Lunenburg, Petersham, Phillipston, Royalston, Shirley, Templeton, Townsend, Westminster, Winchendon.
D. Area 4, consisting of the following Sectors:
Sector 4A. Brimfield, Chicopee, East Longmeadow, Hampden, Holland, Longmeadow, Ludlow, Monson, Palmer, Springfield, Wilbraham, Wales.
Sector 4B. Agawam, Blandford, Chester, Granville, Holyoke, Montgomery, Russell, Southwick, Tolland, Westfield, West Springfield.
Sector 4C. Amherst, Belchertown, Chesterfield, Cummington, Easthampton, Goshen, Granby, Hadley, Hatfield, Huntington, Middlefield, Northampton, Pelham, Plainfield, South Hadley, Southampton, Ware, Westhampton, Williamsburg, Worthington.
Sector 4D. Ashfield, Bernardston, Buckland, Charlemont, Colrain, Conway, Deerfield, Erving, Gill, Greenfield, Hawley, Heath, Leverett, Leyden, Montague, Monroe, New Salem, Northfield, Orange, Rowe, Shelburne, Shutesbury, Sunderland, Warwick, Wendall, Whately.
Sector 4E. Adams, Alford, Becket, Cheshire, Clarksburg, Dalton, Egremont, Florida, Great Barrington, Hancock, Hinsdale, Lanesboro, Lee, Lenox, Monterey, Mt. Washington, New Ashford, New Marlboro, North Adams, Otis, Peru, Pittsfield, Richmond, Sandisfield, Savoy, Sheffield, Stockbridge, Tyringham, Washington, West Stockbridge, Windsor, Williamstown.
2. In each Area there shall be an Area Director, and in each Sector there shall be a Sector Director, who shall in each case, (with the exceptions of Sector 1A and 3A) be appointed by the State Director of Civil Defense. The provisions of Acts of 1950, Chapter 639, Section 2 shall, so far as material, be applicable to such appointments. The State Director may also appoint or designate one or more Deputy or Alternate Area or Sector Directors who shall perform the duties and exercise the authority, simultaneously or successively, of an Area or Sector Director. The Sector Directors of Sectors 1A and 3A shall be the Civil Defense Directors of the City of Boston and the City of Worcester (or any persons succeeding to the powers and duties thereof), respectively, serving ex officio, and for all training, operational and administrative purposes, said Sectors 1A and 3A shall be within Areas 1 and 3 respectively and subject to the Area Directors of Areas 1 and 3 respectively.
3. Area and Sector Directors shall assist the State Director, within their respective Areas and Sectors, in carrying out the responsibilities of the State Director under Acts of 1950, Chapter 639, as amended, and under any other provisions of law or under any Executive or Administrative Order, and shall have such additional responsibilities and authority as may be imposed or conferred in any Executive or Administrative Order or other pertinent document heretofore or hereafter issued.
4. The Areas and Sectors established by this Order shall be effective immediately for purposes of planning, training and administration; for operational purposes such Areas and Sectors shall be effective on such date as may be determined by the State Director. Until such date the Areas and Sectors established under the provisions of Executive Order No. 26, shall remain in existence for all Civil Defense operational purposes and Area and Sector Directors shall continue to have and may exercise for such purposes all authority conferred upon them.
5. Executive Order No. 26, issued January 7, 1955, is hereby terminated provided, however, that all references in any Executive or Administrative Order or other pertinent document heretofore issued, to Area or Sector Directors established or appointed under Executive Order No. 26, shall be deemed to refer to the Areas or Sectors, or Area or Sector Directors, established or appointed hereunder, and provided, further, that Area and Sector Directors appointed under said Executive Order No. 26 and serving as such on the effective date of this Order, shall continue to serve as such without reappointment, except as may be necessary because of alterations in Areas or Sectors hereby effected.
GIVEN at the Executive Chamber in Boston, this 18th day of June, in the year of our Lord, one thousand nine hundred and fifty-eight, and of the Independence of the United States of America, the one hundred and eighty-second.
By His Excellency the Governor,
EDWARD J. CRONIN
Secretary of the Commonwealth