|Issuer:||Francis W. Sargent|
|Revoked by:||Executive Order 137|
Table of Contents
WHEREAS, the number of Spanish Speaking Americans in Massachusetts has grown rapidly in the past several years; and
WHEREAS, problems of the Commonwealth which they share with other minority groups are compounded by the existence of a language barrier; and
WHEREAS, there has been little formal communication between the government of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Spanish Speaking Community;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Francis W. Sargent, Governor of the Commonwealth, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Supreme Executive Magistrate, do hereby order as follows:
- There is hereby established a Task Force to be known as the "Governor's Task Force on Spanish Speaking Americans" to consist of not more than twenty members of various Spanish Speaking communities of the Commonwealth. Said members shall be appointed by the Governor and shall serve at his pleasure. One of the members shall be designated chairman by the Governor.
- The Task Force shall meet at regular intervals in open or executive session and may hold public hearings within the Commonwealth in the name of the Governor.
- The Governor's Task Force on Spanish Speaking Americans shall identify, examine and analyze those difficulties arising within our Spanish Speaking communities that may require the immediate attention of the governor on behalf of the welfare of the citizens of the Commonwealth.
- The Task Force shall also make recommendations directly to the Governor from time to time, as it deems advisable, including an annual report of its activities.
- In order to fulfill said responsibilities, the Task Force may request the advice and counsel of state departments and agencies, including the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, and shall be provided with such aid and assistance from the Governor's Special Assistant for Spanish Affairs as it may deem necessary for the performance of its duties.
Given at the Executive Chamber in Boston this eighth day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and sixty-nine and of the Independence of the United States of America, one hundred and ninety- fourth.
FRANCIS W. SARGENT
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
JOHN F. X. DAVOREN
Secretary of the Commonwealth