|Issuer:||Edward J. King|
|Mass Register:||No. 146|
Table of Contents
WHEREAS, the ever-increasing costs of services undertaken by state government have become of deep concern to the people of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; and
WHEREAS, many private citizens, including leaders of business and industry in this Commonwealth, have volunteered their financial assistance and services to perform a detailed management survey of the administration of state government operations and services including the basic and specialized system essential to its control;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Edward J. King, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and by the statutes of this Commonwealth, do hereby ORDER AND DIRECT:
- There shall be a management review to ascertain the means by which and the manner in which the services and operations of the executive branch of state government may be provided to and for its citizens in the most efficient, expeditious, and economical manner possible, including an analysis of the management systems inherent in the operation of state government.
- Said review and analysis shall be undertaken by a non-governmental, nonprofit corporation established under the provisions of Chapter 180 of the General Laws of the Commonwealth known as The Governor's Management Task Force, utilizing the services of such private citizens, including persons from Massachusetts academic institutions, businesses, professions and industries, as it deems necessary and appropriate to carry out its functions.
- The Task Force is authorized to call upon any secretariat, office, department, board, commission, council or other agency of the executive branch of state government under my jurisdiction and any officer, member or employee thereof, to supply such statistical data, program reports, and other information and materials as the Task Force deems necessary or appropriate to perform its work and they are authorized and directed to cooperate with the Task Force and to furnish it such information or assistance in connection with such review and analysis and in connection with effecting implementation of such recommendations as may be developed.
- The Task Force shall, upon completion of its review, render to the Governor such public report of its findings and recommendations as it deems appropriate.
- In addition, other requests for volunteer managerial expertise assistance on a project-by-project basis may be directed to the Task Force the Governor and the Task Force may entertain similar requests from other constitutional officers and the General Court.
- This Order shall take effect immediately and shall continue in force until amended or revoked.
Given at the Executive Chamber in Boston this 9th day of February in the year of our Lord, One Thousand Nine Hundred and Seventy-Nine, and of the independence of the United States of America, the Two Hundredth and Third.
Edward J. King
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Michael Joseph Connolly
Secretary of State