Table of Contents
WHEREAS, the United States government has undertaken a program for the distribution of federal block grant funds to the states; and
WHEREAS, said program of distribution will become effective with the start of the 1982 federal fiscal year on October 1, 1981; and
WHEREAS, it is necessary for the government of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to prepare and plan for the proper implementation of said distribution of federal block grant funds, in accordance with federal and state laws and in the manner most beneficial to the citizens of the commonwealth; and
WHEREAS, federal law requires that each state shall prepare a report on the proposed use of block grant funds received by that state;
NOW THEREFORE, I, Edward J. King, Governor of the Commonwealth pursuant to federal law, and by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the Commonwealth, do hereby order as follows:
1. The Massachusetts Block Grant Task Force (hereinafter referred to as the "Task Force") is hereby established.
2. The members of the Task Force shall be appointed by the Governor and shall include:
(a) The Secretary of Administration and Finance
(b) The Secretary of Human Services
(c) The Secretary of Communities and Development
(d) The Commissioner of Education
(e) Two members of the House of Representatives to be designated by the Speaker of the House of Representatives
(f) Two members of the Senate to be designated by the President of the Senate
(g) The Director of the Office of Federal - State Relations
(h) A designee of the Governor The Chairman of the Task Force shall be designated by the Governor.
3. The Task Force shall review the proposals and plans of all affected state agencies relative to the receipt and distribution of federal block grant funds by September 14, 1981.
4. The Task Force shall make recommendations to the Governor concerning the Commonwealth's plans for the receipt and distribution of federal block grant funds by September 23, 1981.
5. The Task Force shall ensure compliance by the Commonwealth with federal requirements relative to the receipt and distribution of federal block grant funds by the states.
6. All state agencies affected by the federal block grant program are hereby directed to cooperate fully with the Task Force by providing any relevant information and assistance required by the Task Force to carry out the purposes for which it is created.
Given at the Executive Chamber in Boston this 25th day of August in the year of Our Lord one thousand nine hundred and eighty-one and of the Independence of the United States of America two-hundred and six.
EDWARD J. KING
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
MICHAEL JOSEPH CONNOLLY
Secretary of the Commonwealth