Read our latest GISette Newsletter
Maps and apps
MassGIS Imagery Time Series: 30 years of Massachusetts orthophotos.
This app explains our ortho imagery acquisitions through the years and allows you to explore the various vintages in one location, from the black and white imagery of the 1990s to the 2019 high-resolution color imagery program.
- MHC Historic Inventory
May 5, 2021 - Includes significant updates to Duxbury and Orleans. Massachusetts Historical Commission staff have reviewed and corrected data for some of the first towns to be digitized: Abington, Canton, Halifax, Pelham, Rockland and Scituate; updates are in progress for Berkley, Bridgewater, Hanover, Hull, Kingston, Lakeville, Marion, Middleborough and Pembroke.
- Building Structures
May 3, 2021 - Updated with 2017 and 2018 structure review edits along with the first data edits compiled atop spring 2019 imagery. Updates are continuing statewide based on 2019 imagery.
- Property Tax Parcels
April 27, 2021 - 32 municipalities: Agawam, Ashfield, Blandford, Brimfield, Dalton, Douglas, East Bridgewater, Egremont, Georgetown, Gill, Granby, Harvard, Holland, Lanesborough, Littleton, Malden, Middleborough, Milton, Monterey, New Ashford, North Adams, North Attleborough, Phillipston, Richmond, Savoy, Shelburne, Topsfield, Wendell, West Brookfield, West Newbury, West Stockbridge, and Worcester.
- MassDEP data layers
April 12, 2020 - The MassDEP GIS Group has updated the Public Water Supplies and wellhead (Zone II, Zone I, IWPA) protection areas data, available from MassGIS. Data are current as of 4/6/2021.
- Legislative and Administrative Boundaries
January 22, 2021 - MassGIS has updated these data layers following this month’s swearing in of newly elected officials based on results of the November 2020 elections (geometry updates for House, Senate and Congress on 3/16/2021):
- DFW Coldwater Fisheries Resources
February 11, 2021 - Minor update from the Mass. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife.
- Office of Fishing and Boating Access Sites
January 25, 2021 - Latest update from the Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game.
- MassDEP data layers
December 22, 2020 - The MassDEP GIS Group has updated the Chapter 21e Sites and AUL Sites data, available from MassGIS. Data are current as of 12/21/2020.
- MassDEP Ground Water Discharge Permits
December 19, 2020 - The MassDEP GIS Group has updated the Ground Water Discharge Permits datalayer, a statewide point dataset containing approximate locations of permitted discharges to groundwater, available from MassGIS. Data are current as of 12/16/2020.
- Protected and Recreational Open Space
December 15, 2020 - Energy and Environmental Affairs GIS staff have updated the Protected and Recreational OpenSpace layers (arcs and polygons), available from MassGIS. Since the last publication to the web, staff at EEA and its associated agencies performed edits that improved the boundaries and/or descriptive geography to over 600 polygons in 59 municipalities.
New shapefile and file geodatabase downloads represent data updated as of 9/23/2020.
- Added or improved the boundaries of many types of open spaces: 171 conservation areas, 8 cemeteries, 24 water supply lands, 23 parks, and 27 conservation restrictions, resulting in a net gain of nearly 3,400 acres in the database.
- The Department of Conservation and Recreation – Water Supply performed edits in 3 municipalities, adding 6 acres.
- The Department of Fish and Game performed edits in 8 towns and increased the overall acreage in the database by over 1,300 acres.
- A town-wide update was completed for the Town of Groveland.
- Completed additional digitizing for EEA-sponsored programs:
- 12 projects from EEA grants.
- 2 acquisitions that involved the Conservation Land Tax Credit.
- Three fields were added to the polygon attribute table: CR_REF, OS_TYPE and EEA_CR_ID.
- MassDEP 2016 Integrated List of Waters
December 9, 2020 - The newest version of this layer, from the MassDEP Division of Watershed Management.
- National Wetlands Inventory
November 23, 2020 - Update from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published in October. Contains newer delineation based on aerial imagery from 2008-2013.
- Schools (Pre-K through High School)
November 23, 2020 - Update based on the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) school profiles database as of July 29, 2020.
- MassDEP Eelgrass 2019-2022
November 17, 2020 - New data contains features mapped as part of the sixth coast-wide survey conducted by the MassDEP Eelgrass Mapping Project. This phase began in the summer of 2019 and is scheduled to continue through 2022, a 4-year duration that is necessary to provide comprehensive coverage of eelgrass map data for the Massachusetts coastline.
- U.S. EPA Designated Sole Source Aquifers
September 23, 2020 - The latest data from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Community Boundaries (Towns) from Survey Points (AKA Municipalities)
September 9, 2020 - Modified small sections of the Canton-Stoughton and Dartmouth-Westport boundaries based on further review from the affected towns of figures and descriptions found in the Harbor and Land Commission Atlas.
- 2019 Ortho Imagery
February 18, 2020 - These spring 2019 images are the highest resolution orthos ever made available for public use and distribution by MassGIS for the entire commonwealth. Web service and JPEG 2000 tiles may be used in a wide variety of software and apps.