Read our latest GISette Newsletter
- Standardized Assessors’ Parcel Mapping
November 26, 2019 - 40 municipalities: Abington, Acton, Andover, Ashby, Ashland, Attleboro, Berlin, Bolton, Chelmsford, Conway, Dighton, Duxbury, Easton, Fairhaven, Fall River, Granby, Hancock, Hopedale, Lawrence, Lynn, Marblehead, Milton, Montague, New Braintree, Newbury, Peabody, Provincetown, Raynham, Rehoboth, Royalston, Russell, Spencer, Sutton, Tewksbury, Truro, Wales, West Newbury, Westminster, Winthrop, and Wrentham.
- Places of Worship
November 20, 2019 - New point data layer showing the locations of more than 2,000 churches, mosques and synagogues in Massachusetts.
- Community Preservation Act (CPA) Towns
November 12, 2019 - Update to include Lowell's adoption of the CPA.
- Protected and Recreational Open Space
November 12, 2019 - Energy and Environmental Affairs GIS staff have updated the Protected and Recreational OpenSpace layers (arcs and polygons), available from MassGIS. Since the last publication to the web, staff at EEA and its associated agencies performed edits that improved the boundaries and/or attributes to nearly 3,000 polygons of recreational areas and open spaces in 142 municipalities.
New shapefile and file geodatabase downloads represent data updated as of 10/23/2019.
- Additions of or improvements to 12 school athletic fields, 434 conservation areas, 25 cemeteries, 147 water supply lands, 79 parks, and 314 conservation restrictions, resulting in a net gain of more than 4,300 acres in the database.
- Town-wide updates completed for Ipswich, Lynnfield and Westwood.
- The Department of Conservation and Recreation – Watershed performed edits in five municipalities.
- The Department of Fish and Game performed edits in seven towns, adding more than 1,000 acres.
- The Department of Agricultural Resources digitized three agricultural preservation restrictions, adding 184 acres.
- Completed additional digitizing for EEA-sponsored programs:
- Twelve projects from EEA grants.
- Ten acquisitions that involved the Conservation Land Tax Credit.
- Twenty-two parks and playgrounds were updated with PARC grant data.
- Community Health Centers
October 31, 2019 - Update to this point layer based on data from MA DPH as of spring 2018.
- MassDEP data layers
October 15, 2019 - The MassDEP GIS Group has updated the Public Water Supplies, wellhead (Zone II, Zone I, IWPA) protection areas, MassDEP Ground Water Discharge Permits, Chapter 21e Sites and AUL Sites data, available from MassGIS. Data are current as of 10/8/2019.
- Two new DFS District Layers
October 7, 2019 - State Fire Districts and State HazMat Districts, from the Dept. of Fire Services.
- MA DFW Coldwater Fisheries Resources
September 9, 2019 - One feature was added to the layer by the Mass. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, following a more extensive update in June.
- Community Boundaries (Towns) from Survey Points
September 3, 2019 - Two updates:
- Fitchburg-Leominster border along a small stretch of Crawford Street, based on a 1964 scanned survey plan from the City of Fitchburg Dept. of Public Works.
- Aquinnah-Chilmark border near Menemsha based on parcel data and surveyed plans from the towns.
- Building Structures (2-D)
August 28, 2019 - Comprehensive statewide refresh to a baseline of 2016, plus data for Boston from the city.
- Inland Water Bathymetry (1:10,000)
August 12, 2019 - Additional features were added to the layer by the Mass. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife.
- MassDOT Highway Districts
June 21, 2019 - New layer includes the six current districts.
- MassDEP Water Quality Monitoring Stations
June 20, 2019 - The latest update from MassDEP Division of Watershed Management, Watershed Planning Program to fulfill Federal Clean Water Act requirements.
- DCR Mass Parks Regions
June 17, 2019 - New layer representing the administrative and management units for the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) Mass Parks Division.
- Schools (Pre-K through High School)
June 6, 2019 - Statewide update based on Mass. Dept. of Elementary and Secondary Education school profiles database as of March 27, 2019.
- Public School Districts
June 6, 2019 - The districts are now split into two layers: (1) municipal and regional public school districts, and (2) charter, collaborative, superintendency union and vocational districts.
- 2016 Land Cover/Land Use
May 22, 2019 - This statewide dataset contains a combination of land cover mapping from 2016 aerial imagery and land use derived from standardized assessor parcel information for Massachusetts.
- Long Term Care Residences
May 7, 2019 - Update of the point data layer containing the locations of licensed nursing homes, rest homes and assisted living residences in Massachusetts.
- EOHHS Regions
March 14, 2019 - 2010 population values were added for each of the six regions.
- Non-Potential Drinking Water Source Areas
February 7, 2019 - MassDEP has made updates to this layer.
- RMV Locations
February 5, 2019 - MassGIS updated this layer to reflect recent changes to the locations of Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) service centers and AAA branch offices that provide many RMV services.
- Wards and Precincts
January 29, 2019 - New polygon data layer representing all municipal wards and precincts in Massachusetts.
January 18, 2019 - New point data layer shows the location of all courthouses in Massachusetts.
- Massachusetts Legislative Districts and Administrative Boundaries
January 9, 2019 - MassGIS has updated the polygon attribute tables of the following legislative and administrative boundary data layers following the swearing in of newly elected officials from the November 2018 elections:
January 4, 2019 - MassGIS has updated this statewide layer.
- New and Updated Hospitals Data
December 27, 2018 - MassGIS has updated the Acute Care Hospitals data layer. A new layer, Non-acute Care Hospitals, is now available. Both layers are based on data from the Mass. Dept. of Public Health and CHIA.
- MassDOT Roads
November 29, 2018 - Statewide update based on MassDOT's 2017 year-end road inventory. Also includes additional linework from MassGIS' NextGen911 "base streets" and other improvements.
- ZIP Codes (5-Digit) from HERE (Navteq)
November 26, 2018 - Update based on HERE (Navteq) 2018 Q2 data.
- MassDEP Eelgrass Mapping Project
August 9, 2018 - This update adds data from 2015-17 and combines the layers from 2010-13 into one feature class.
- Google Ortho Imagery
August 3, 2018 - Spring 2018 imagery for Greater Boston/MetroWest areas; Late winter 2018 imagery for the Cape Cod and the Islands.
- MBTA Rapid Transit
June 28, 2018 - The SL3 branch of the Silver Line to Chelsea was added.
- Colleges and Universities
June 5, 2018 - MassGIS has updated this point data layer based on all Massachusetts colleges listed in the National Center for Education Statistics website as of March 12, 2018. Additional schools were added from lists of professional occupational/vocational institutions compiled by the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation Division of Professional Licensure. MassGIS geocoded site addresses to the Master Address Database and verified them using current ortho imagery and Internet map sources.