Read our latest GISette Newsletter
Maps and apps
Tracking COVID-19 in Massachusetts: Average Daily Case Rate (per 100,000) for COVID-19
This map is an interactive visualization of data for each city and town that is reported in the Mass. Department of Public Health's weekly COVID-19 dashboard, which is posted each Wednesday at 6:00PM ET. This map gets updated by the following Thursday morning.
MassGIS Imagery Time Series: 30 years of Massachusetts orthophotos.
This app explains our ortho imagery acquisitions through the years and allows you to explore the various vintages in one location, from the black and white imagery of the 1990s to the 2019 high-resolution color imagery program.
- U.S. EPA Designated Sole Source Aquifers
September 23, 2020 - The latest data from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Standardized Assessors’ Parcel Mapping
September 14, 2020 - 31 municipalities: Abington, Acton, Acushnet, Alford, Attleboro, Ayer, Bolton, Buckland, Burlington, Clinton, Dover, Duxbury, Essex, Fitchburg, Granby, Greenfield, Hadley, Hopedale, Ipswich, Maynard, Montague, New Bedford, New Marlborough, Rochester, Rockland, Saugus, Shelburne, Southampton, Spencer, Townsend, and Westhampton.
- Community Boundaries (Towns) from Survey Points
September 9, 2020 - Modified small sections of the Canton-Stoughton and Dartmouth-Westport boundaries based on further review from the affected towns of figures and descriptions found in the Harbor and Land Commission Atlas.
- MHC Historic Inventory
September 9, 2020 - For many years, the Massachusetts Historical Commission’s Historic Inventory of historic places (points) and historic districts (polygons) has been available for viewing and download on our website. Until now, because the data changes very frequently, the data download functioned as a “clip and ship”; when a user made the request for the data, a query was run upon the MHC’s online MACRIS Maps mapping application to create the file for the user. Now, MassGIS will be hosting static files that will be periodically updated.
- Protected and Recreational Open Space
August 4, 2020 - Energy and Environmental Affairs GIS staff have updated the Protected and Recreational OpenSpace layers (arcs and polygons), available from MassGIS. Since the last publication to the web, staff at EEA and its associated agencies performed edits that improved the boundaries and/or attributes to over 400 polygons of recreational areas and open spaces in 79 municipalities.
New shapefile and file geodatabase downloads represent data updated as of 6/24/2020.
- Updates involve adding or improving the boundaries of many types of recreational areas and protected open spaces. Twelve school athletic fields, 259 conservation areas, 9 cemeteries, 30 water supply lands, 8 parks, and 78 conservation restrictions, resulting in a net gain of more than 4,600 acres in the database.
- The Department of Conservation and Recreation - Parks performed edits in 38 municipalities for fiscal years 2015, 2016 and 2017, adding over 1,400 acres.
- The Department of Fish and Game performed edits in 8 towns, adding more than 194 acres.
- A town-wide update was completed for the Town of West Newbury.
- Completed additional digitizing for EEA-sponsored programs:
- 2 projects from EEA grants.
- 1 acquisition that involved the Conservation Land Tax Credit.
- MassDEP data layers
April 7, 2020 - The MassDEP GIS Group has updated the Chapter 21e Sites and AUL Sites data, available from MassGIS. Data are current as of 4/1/2020.
- USGS Color Ortho Imagery (2019)
February 18, 2020 - These spring 2019 images are the highest resolution orthos ever made available for public use and distribution by MassGIS for the entire commonwealth. Web service and JPEG 2000 tiles may be used in a wide variety of software and apps.
- MBTA Rapid Transit
January 7, 2020 - Edits to some Silver Line routes and stops based on current imagery.
- Hydrography data
December 19, 2019 - MassGIS, working with MassDEP GIS Group, has renamed a small number of water bodies in the 25k Hydro, 100K Hydro, and Major Ponds data layers.
- MassDEP data layers
December 9, 2019 - The MassDEP GIS Group has updated the Public Water Supplies, wellhead (Zone II, Zone I, IWPA) protection areas and MassDEP Ground Water Discharge Permits data, available from MassGIS. Data are current as of 11/25/2019.
- Places of Worship
November 20, 2019 - New point data layer showing the locations of more than 2,000 churches, mosques and synagogues in Massachusetts.