Maps and apps
Statewide Property Sales Viewer View property sales from the past fiscal year across the state
The Statewide Property Sales Viewer maps real estate sales assembled by the State's Bureau of Local Assessment (part of the Division of Local Services). The source is the annual "LA3" sales reports provided by municipal assessors. On the Division of Local Services website, these sales can be searched by property type, range of sale date or price, and other characteristics. You can download the search results. This MassGIS sales viewer application supports the same search criteria and then maps the result, color coding the sales based on their assessment-to-sale ratio. You can also still see and download the tabular result.
MassGIS Imagery Time Series: 30 years of Massachusetts orthophotos.
This app explains our ortho imagery acquisitions through the years and allows you to explore the various vintages in one location, from the black and white imagery of the 1990s to the 2019 high-resolution color imagery program.
- MHC Historic Inventory
July 29, 2022 - Massachusetts Historical Commission staff have completed a significant update to the towns of Northampton and Wellfleet. They have also reviewed and corrected data for some of the first towns to be digitized: Abington, Berkley, Canton, Chelsea, Freetown, Halifax, Hanover, Hanson, Holbrook, Hull, Kingston, Lakeville, Marion, Pelham, Pembroke, Rockland and Scituate; updates are in progress for Bridgewater, Dartmouth, Dracut, Franklin, Middleborough, and Westport.
- Surficial Geology (24k)
July 27, 2022 - In this major update, the data are now available statewide and replace all previous versions of the data which covered only portions of the state.
- Property Tax Parcels
July 21, 2022 - 18 municipalities: Bernardston, Bourne, Boxborough, Brimfield, Chelsea, Dalton, Duxbury, Eastham, Framingham, Littleton, Malden, Norfolk, North Attleborough, Norwell, Rehoboth, Rutland, Wakefield, and Winchester.
- Places of Worship
July 1, 2022 - Added Anglican and Evangelical Lutheran churches, one independent church (South Congregational Church - Church by the Lake in Braintree). One Synagogue was also moved, Congregation Dorshei Tzedek in West Newton.
- Fire Stations
June 13, 2022 - MassGIS has completed an update to to verify, modify, add, or remove the location and attributes of all stations.
- Police Stations
May 25, 2022 - MassGIS has completed an update that includes the relocation of 63 stations, 2 address changes, and the removal of the Town of Wendell's station.
- Schools (Pre-K through High School)
May 17, 2022 - Update based on the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) school profiles database as of February 22, 2022.
- MassDOT Roads
May 9, 2022 - Edits to roads in Quincy Center, Union Point in Weymouth, Boston, Westwood, Plymouth and other areas (details in the metadata included with the downloads).
- Community Preservation Act (CPA) Projects and Towns
April 28, 2022 - New shapefiles available for download reflecting the current status.
April 27, 2022 - Modified boundaries between:
- Boston-Brookline 17 and 18 and Boston-Brookline 22 and 23 survey points to match Brookline's parcels.
- Boston-Everett 4 and 5 survey points (straight line connection) to match survey plan.
- Boston and Everett, through BE-2 survey point to match survey plan.
- Hanover-Norwell along Third Herring Brook based on survey plan.
- Medford-Somerville near the intersection of the Mystic Valley Parkway and Auburn Street based on assessors plan.
- Regional Datasets
April 27, 2022 - The following region boundary datasets were updated to reflect recent edits to MassGIS' Municipalities data layer. (This follows the August 2021 update to re-create the layers, which had previously been based on USGS-based municipal polygons. No changes were made to the regions' constituent towns).
- CZM Regions
- DFS State Fire Districts
- DFS State HazMat Districts
- Division of Fisheries and Wildlife Districts
- Emergency Medical Services Regions
- Emergency Preparedness Regions and Regional Coalitions
- Executive Office of Health & Human Services Regions
- Homeland Security Planning Regions
- MassDEP Regions (additional update on 5/27/2022)
- MassDOT Highway Districts
- Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) Regions
- Regional Planning Agencies
- Registries of Deeds Districts
- Protected and Recreational Open Space
April 8, 2022 - Energy and Environmental Affairs GIS staff have updated the Protected and Recreational OpenSpace layers (arcs and polygons), available from MassGIS. Since the last publication to the web, staff at EEA and its associated agencies performed edits that improved the boundaries and/or descriptive geography to over 1,600 polygons in 116 municipalities.
New shapefile and file geodatabase downloads represent data updated as of 4/6/2022.
- Added or improved the boundaries of many types of open spaces: 224 conservation areas, 13 cemeteries, 159 water supply lands, 22 parks, and 54 conservation restrictions, resulting in a net gain of nearly 2,500 acres in the database.
- The Department of Conservation and Recreation – Parks performed edits in 25 municipalities, adding over 200 acres.
- The Department of Conservation and Recreation – Watershed performed edits in 4 municipalities, , greatly improving spatial accuracy.
- The Department of Fish and Game performed edits in 12 towns and increased the overall acreage in the database by over 360 acres.
- The Department of Agricultural Resources added or improved the spatial accuracy of agricultural preservation restrictions in 24 municipalities, adding over 800 acres.
- The Executive Office of Environmental Affairs performed edits in 76 towns and increased the overall acreage in the database by nearly 1,600 acres.
April 7, 2022 - Update to the Commuter Rail Stops (TRAINS_NODE) layer: corrected the location of the Montello stop in Brockton.
- MassDEP 2018/2020 Integrated List of Waters
March 21, 2022 - The newest version of this layer, from the MassDEP Division of Watershed Management.
- Legislative and Administrative Boundaries
March 10, 2022 - MassGIS has updated these polygon data layers' attribute tables to reflect the results of recent special elections and filling of vacancies:
- MassDEP data layers
March 9, 2022 - The MassDEP GIS Group has updated the Public Water Supply Sources and Wellhead Protection Areas data, current as of 3/8/2022. Data are available from MassGIS.
- 2021 Legislative and Administrative Boundaries
March 3, 2022 - These district boundaries for Massachusetts, signed into law in November 2021, will be in effect beginning with the 2022 elections:
DCR Service Forestry Districts
February 14, 2022 - New polygon feature class that stores the boundaries of the DCR Service Forestry Districts, which provide technical assistance and services to landowners and municipalities regarding their forested properties.
2021 Ortho Imagery
January 31, 2022 - These spring 2021 images are the highest resolution orthos ever made available for public use and distribution by MassGIS for the entire commonwealth. Web service and JPEG 2000 tiles may be used in a wide variety of software and apps.
- Office of Fishing and Boating Access Sites
January 18, 2022 - Latest update from the Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game.
- Lidar DEM and Shaded Relief
January 12, 2022 - New statewide, seamless digital elevation model (DEM) and shaded relief imagery from lidar terrain data (primarily 2010-2015).
- Rail data layers
December 29, 2021 - Updates to the MBTA Rapid Transit and Trains layers.
- MassDEP data layers
Up to date as of 12/28/21:
Public Water Supplies, MassDEP Wellhead Protection Areas (Zone II, Zone I, IWPA)
Up to date as of 12/23/21:
MassDEP Tier Classified Oil and/or Hazardous Material Sites (MGL c. 21E), MassDEP Oil and/or Hazardous Material Sites with Activity and Use Limitations (AUL), Ground Water Discharge Permits
- SSURGO-Certified Soils
November 23, 2021 - MassGIS has received the 2020 refresh of soils data from the NRCS. This update includes a new "Top 20" feature class that allows users to easily map many of the most commonly requested soils characteristics -- no need to link to separate database tables.
- Public Utility Service Providers
October 21, 2021 - Updates to electricity and natural gas providers (September 2021 from Department of Public Utilities) as well as cable providers (November 2019 from Department of Telecommunications and Cable)
- NHESP data layers
August 1, 2021 - The Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Program (NHESP) has updated the Estimated Habitats of Rare Wildlife and Priority Habitats of Rare Species datalayers. The data are part of the 15th Edition of the Massachusetts Natural Heritage Atlas, and are effective beginning August 1, 2021.
- Building Structures
July 18, 2021 - Updated with edits compiled atop spring 2019 imagery completed statewide.
- 2020 U.S. Census Environmental Justice Populations
June 24, 2021 - Block group-level data compiled from the American Community Survey (ACS) 2015-2019 5-year-estimates tables.