Maps and apps
MassGIS Imagery Time Series: 30 years of Massachusetts orthophotos.
This app explains our ortho imagery acquisitions through the years and allows you to explore the various vintages in one location, from the black and white imagery of the 1990s to the 2019 high-resolution color imagery program.
- Property Tax Parcels
January 24, 2022 - 20 municipalities: Arlington, Boxford, Burlington, Charlton, Dennis, Gosnold, Holyoke, Huntington, Leicester, Medfield, Nantucket, Oak Bluffs, Orleans, Raynham, Salem, Sandwich, Scituate, Tewksbury, West Bridgewater, and Wilbraham.
- Emergency Service Zones and MSAG Communities
January 19, 2022 - Updates to layers supporting NextGEN 911.
- Office of Fishing and Boating Access Sites
January 18, 2022 - Latest update from the Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game.
- Lidar DEM and Shaded Relief
January 12, 2022 - New statewide, seamless digital elevation model (DEM) and shaded relief imagery from lidar terrain data (primarily 2010-2015).
- MHC Historic Inventory
January 11, 2022 - Includes significant updates New Bedford and Tewksbury. Massachusetts Historical Commission staff have reviewed and corrected data for some of the first towns to be digitized: Abington, Berkley, Canton, Halifax, Hanover, Hanson, Hull, Pelham, Pembroke, Rockland and Scituate; updates are in progress for Bridgewater, Chelsea, Dracut, Freetown, Kingston, Lakeville, Marion, Middleborough, and Westport.
- MassDEP data layers
December 29, 2021 - The MassDEP GIS Group has updated the Chapter 21e Sites, AUL Sites, and Ground Water Discharge Permits, current as of 12/23/2021; and Public Water Supply Sources and Wellhead Protection Areas data, current as of 12/28/2021. Data are available from MassGIS.
- Rail data layers
December 29, 2021 - Updates to the MBTA Rapid Transit and Trains layers.
- Protected and Recreational Open Space
December 21, 2021 - Energy and Environmental Affairs GIS staff have updated the Protected and Recreational OpenSpace layers (arcs and polygons), available from MassGIS. Since the last publication to the web, staff at EEA and its associated agencies performed edits that improved the boundaries and/or descriptive geography to over 1,500 polygons in 164 municipalities.
New shapefile and file geodatabase downloads represent data updated as of 12/8/2021.
- Added or improved the boundaries of many types of open spaces: 360 conservation areas, 13 cemeteries, 185 water supply lands, 80 parks, and 84 conservation restrictions, resulting in a net gain of nearly 6,300 acres in the database.
- The Department of Conservation and Recreation – Parks performed edits in 39 municipalities, adding over 1,200 acres.
- The Department of Conservation and Recreation – Watershed performed edits in 7 municipalities, adding over 260 acres.
- The Department of Fish and Game performed edits in 22 towns and increased the overall acreage in the database by over 1,800 acres.
- The Executive Office of Environmental Affairs performed edits in 119 towns and increased the overall acreage in the database by over 3,600 acres.
- Completed additional digitizing for EEA-sponsored programs:
- 16 projects from EEA grants, covering over 870 acres.
- 18 parks with Parkland Acquisitions and Renovations for Communities (PARC) Grant Program data
- 19 acquisitions that involved the Conservation Land Tax Credit, for a gain of over 780 acres.
- Property Tax Parcels
December 8, 2021 - 27 municipalities: Amesbury, Brewster, Bridgewater, Carlisle, Dartmouth, Edgartown, Haverhill, Holliston, Lakeville, Lancaster, Lenox, Lexington, Lynn, Mashpee, Nahant, Newton, Palmer, Peabody, Pepperell, Randolph, Rockport, Russell, Somerville, Stoughton, Swampscott, Watertown, and Yarmouth.
- SSURGO-Certified Soils
November 23, 2021 - MassGIS has received the 2020 refresh of soils data from the NRCS. This update includes a new "Top 20" feature class that allows users to easily map many of the most commonly requested soils characteristics -- no need to link to separate database tables.
- Public Utility Service Providers
October 21, 2021 - Updates to electricity and natural gas providers (September 2021 from Department of Public Utilities) as well as cable providers (November 2019 from Department of Telecommunications and Cable)
- Regional Datasets
August 11, 2021 - The following region boundary datasets were updated to be based on the Survey Towns polygons. Previously these layers were created from USGS-based polygons. No changes were made to the regions' constituent towns.
- CZM Regions
- DCAMM Regions
- DFS State Fire Districts
- DFS State HazMat Districts
- Division of Fisheries and Wildlife Districts
- Emergency Medical Services Regions
- Emergency Preparedness Regions and Regional Coalitions
- Executive Office of Health & Human Services Regions
- Homeland Security Planning Regions
- MassDEP Regions
- MassDOT Highway Districts
- Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) Regions
- Regional Planning Agencies
- Registries of Deeds Districts
- NHESP data layers
August 1, 2021 - The Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Program (NHESP) has updated the Estimated Habitats of Rare Wildlife and Priority Habitats of Rare Species datalayers. The data are part of the 15th Edition of the Massachusetts Natural Heritage Atlas, and are effective beginning August 1, 2021.
- Building Structures
July 18, 2021 - Updated with edits compiled atop spring 2019 imagery completed statewide.
- 2020 U.S. Census Environmental Justice Populations
June 24, 2021 - Block group-level data compiled from the American Community Survey (ACS) 2015-2019 5-year-estimates tables.
- Legislative and Administrative Boundaries
January 22, 2021 - MassGIS has updated these data layers following this month’s swearing in of newly elected officials based on results of the November 2020 elections (geometry updates for House, Senate and Congress on 3/16/2021):
- DFW Coldwater Fisheries Resources
February 11, 2021 - Minor update from the Mass. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife.
- MassDEP 2016 Integrated List of Waters
- December 9, 2020 - The newest version of this layer, from the MassDEP Division of Watershed Management.
- National Wetlands Inventory
November 23, 2020 - Update from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published in October. Contains newer delineation based on aerial imagery from 2008-2013.
- Schools (Pre-K through High School)
November 23, 2020 - Update based on the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) school profiles database as of July 29, 2020.
- MassDEP Eelgrass 2019-2022
November 17, 2020 - New data contains features mapped as part of the sixth coast-wide survey conducted by the MassDEP Eelgrass Mapping Project. This phase began in the summer of 2019 and is scheduled to continue through 2022, a 4-year duration that is necessary to provide comprehensive coverage of eelgrass map data for the Massachusetts coastline.
- U.S. EPA Designated Sole Source Aquifers
September 23, 2020 - The latest data from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Community Boundaries (Towns) from Survey Points (AKA Municipalities)
September 9, 2020 - Modified small sections of the Canton-Stoughton and Dartmouth-Westport boundaries based on further review from the affected towns of figures and descriptions found in the Harbor and Land Commission Atlas.
- 2019 Ortho Imagery
February 18, 2020 - These spring 2019 images are the highest resolution orthos ever made available for public use and distribution by MassGIS for the entire commonwealth. Web service and JPEG 2000 tiles may be used in a wide variety of software and apps.